Sunday, December 7, 2008

Final Blog

Dear Friend,
This year in English I was required to read a book called The perks of being a wallflower. I didn’t know how this book was going to be based on how the title looked and sounded. Either way I told myself I was going to read this book whether it was good or bad just because I was in college and I should get used to that kind of reading.
This book turned out to be a very interesting and simple book. The reason this book was interesting was because how much I can relate to some of the stories now that I am in college. For example when Charlie starts experiences his first parties he smokes weed and drinks for the first time. It reminds me of all the good times I had when I first started partying in high school. A scene that I didn’t like and thought didn’t fit the role of Charlie in this book was when Charlie is protecting Patrick and fight off Brad and his football friends. I mean seriously how could such a small person do this to multiple football players, it just doesn’t make sense. Aside from this part I thought Charlie was a very intriguing character that was comical and clueless.
Another interesting moment in this book was when Charlie’s sister told him her secrets and right after he told his parents. This almost sounds like my high school sibling. I learned from this that you can never trust a younger sibling to keep a secret until there at least out of high school.
I thought this was a surprisingly good book, which is saying a lot coming from someone who has never liked books. This book had an interesting way of presenting the context and for me it was easier to stayed focused and follow the format of a letter rather than followings a story. If there was one question that I would ask was who the person is that Charlie writes to and why did he start writing to him in the first place. I think the book would have been better if those details were explained but that’s just because I don’t like being surprised or left hanging.
Sincerely Tyler

No comments: